Don Muang is not the main airport of Bangkok. Suvarnabhumi is the main international airport (see info about it) and you will probably land in Suvarnabhumi from abroad.
Don Muang is mainly a domestic airport and a regional one. There are flights to the neighboring countries like Vietnam, Cambodia and more. The airport is located 22 Km to the north of center Bangkok (see it on the following Map and on the Maps page). It is located at about the same distance from the city center as the main Airport Suvarnabhumi (Suvarnabhumi is at the east of Bangkok), so Taxi fares should be about the same.
The options to arrive from the airport Don Muang to the center of Bangkok :
- By Metro (Train) : From year 2021, there is a new Metro line, the SRT red line. From the airport you can take this line and make a change at the Bang Sue station (new railway station) and connect to the metro (MRT) blue line. See the Map above. Doesn’t operate at night.
- By Airport Bus : There is a high frequency bus A1, that goes to the nearest skytrain station Mochit (also a Metro-MRT station called Chatuchak). The skytrain doesn’t operate at night in Bangkok (only till midnight). Buses A2, A3, A4 go to other parts of Bangkok.
- By Taxi : About 300 Baht from the airport to town, 1 hour drive.
- By private Bus company : There is a private bus company called Limobus, they have a direct bus every hour to the Khaosan road, Silom (Pat-Pong) and Chidlom (Siam). Look at their website for details.
- By regular buses : There are some lines to different locations in Bangkok. One of the buses is number 59 that operates also at night and stops at : Victory Monument, Phaya Thai (the train link to Suvarnabhumi airport) and Khaosan area (the backpacker’s zone of Bangkok).
- By old train : The airport is located near a regular train station where there are trains passing here on their way to the station Hua Lamphong, but this way of transport is complicated for going to town center.
- There is a free shuttle bus between the airports Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi.
- To arrive to the Khaosan area, see this page.
In addition to the information on this page, you can use the smartphone applications Google Maps and Moovit, in order to know the right way of transport to your destination. I am explaining about this in the page about the Buses of Bangkok.
Related pages on this site :
- Hotels in the areas mentioned here with advantages and disadvantages for each zone.
- The Page of Transport for information about all the ways of Transport in Bangkok.
More on Bangkok and Thailand :
- Where to Stay in Bangkok – Potential Zones for the Hotel
- How to book Trains, Buses, Flights, Hotels for Thailand
- What to Visit in Bangkok ? – The Tourist Attractions
- Bangkok Transport – Airport, Metro, Buses, Boats…
- To the Islands – Which Island to visit + Stay + Arrive
- To Chiang-Mai – What to Visit, Stay, Transport
- To Pattaya city – What to Visit, Stay, Transport
- The Cost to Visit Bangkok – Common Prices
- The Nightlife of Bangkok – The animated zones
- Visa for Thailand- Basic rules and how to extend
- Internet in Thailand – Buying a local SIM
- Useful Products for the Trip to Thailand
- Maps of Bangkok – With places of interest and Transport
- Bangkok FAQ – Weather, Distances etc…
- Bangkok Shopping – The big Malls and the Markets
- The Khaosan Road Survival Guide – The famous Backpackers
- A Tour of Bangkok – An overview
- Taxi Scams in Bangkok – Common Scams of Taxi and Tuk-Tuks
- Go-Go Bar Scams in Bangkok – What to expect
- Vegetarian in Bangkok
Other Stuff :
- Info about 2 more cool cities: Barcelona and Tel-Aviv
- What to Pack ? the visual list that will help you prepare the suitcase.
- Visit my Vegetarian Page. Why be Vegetarian ? What to eat ?
- Visit my Salsa Dance Page. Salsa main Styles. Why Dance Salsa ?
- Listen to nice Songs with translation in French, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew.
- Listen to basic Words In Spanish, French, Hebrew
If you find incorrect data on this page, like a restaurant that has closed or a big river that has moved or you want to tell me something, please write me to contact.