Data Updated for : 2023
Note : I am updating here the entry requirements, but I am not an official source so it is your duty to double check, before your trip, the entry requirements at an official source, like for example at the Thailand Consulate in your country. Also : Thai Immigration Website and Thai Consular Services.
Overall, it is now very easy to enter into Thailand :
- Visa – The Normal Visa rules to Thailand have been restored (Great !), so read about them later on the page.
- Corona issue : No need vaccines. No need PCR tests, No need quarantine.
- Health Insurance – It is no more a requirement for entering Thailand. Still, it is very recommended to have an health insurance when you are traveling. Use an health insurance you know from your country or buy one that is international, like the one described here.
- Return Ticket – They usually don’t ask for it. In some cases, you may be asked to show a return ticket from Thailand (at the check in at the airport or at the arrival in Thailand). If you are asked and you don’t have one, don’t panic. You can always buy a cheap flight ticket to a neighboring country (Vietnam for example). They don’t care to where you fly, when you leave Thailand.
On this page :
- Thailand Stay Rules – the Basics
- Thai Visa Extension
- Where to do the Visa Extension in Bangkok and how to get there ?
- What to bring for the Visa Extension
- Visa for other countries in South East Asia
- For Tourists from many Western countries (including U.S, U.K, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) arriving to Thailand, a 30 day stay is given at the airport or land border. It is free, you just get a stamp in your passport.
- Tourists (from many Western countries) can make a “Tourist Visa”, before traveling to Thailand in one of the Thai consulates around the world. This type of Visa gives you 2 months of stay in Thailand and it costs.
- Note : Check rules for your specific country. See this Wikipedia link for the difference between passports.
- Note : There are other types of Visa for Thailand (student visa etc…)
You can extend your stay in Thailand in one of the Immigration offices in Thailand :
- If you received a 30 days stay permit on arrival or you have a “Tourist Visa”, you can extend your stay by 30 days. (In the first case, with the extension, you get a total of 2 months in Thailand. In the second case you can stay in total 3 months).
Note : If your stay permit has ended, you have to get out of Thailand.
You can go to one of the neighboring countries like Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam (or other countries) and then re-enter Thailand with the same rules.
- Before going to the immigration office, make sure it is not holiday time. Remember there is 1 hour break for lunch. You will need half a day to arrange the visa.
The main immigration office is located in the north of Bangkok, near the domestic airport Don Mueang.
(I know what you think, but no, I am not aware of an immigration office in Bangkok center).
The place is 15 Km from Bangkok center (At middle distance is the Chatuchak week-end market at skytrain station Mochit).
The address is :
The Govenment Complex (South Zone)
Chaengwattana Road (Soi 7) , Laksi , Bangkok 10210
Look at the red symbol in the following Google interactive map :
Or see this fix map, click to enlarge :
To get there, you can :
- The metro station “Lak Si” is close (2 Km). From the station, you can then take a Taxi to destination (or maybe walk). The metro station is on the new metro red line that goes to Don Mueang airport. You can see a Map here.
- Arrive to Mochit skytrain station (Chatuchak week-end market) and then take a Taxi.
- Taxi from center Bangkok.
- Arrive to Don Mueang airport and then take a Taxi.
Also : Use the smartphone applications Google Maps and Moovit and ViaBus to find the public transport to take as I explained in the page about the Buses of Bangkok.
- The immigration building is situated in a huge government complex area. Make sure the taxi is getting you down in front of the right building.
- Money (the last time I went, it costed 1900 baht)
- A photocopy of your return flight ticket (they usually don’t ask for it, but they may)
- 1 photo passport (you can also do it at the shop in place)
- Details about your address where you stay in Thailand and your phone number (You should really know the exact address of your hotel and the room number, they ask for it).
At the offices you will need also to :
- Fill a form (it’s easy, there is a model)
- Go to the shop and make photocopies of specific pages in your passport (it just costs 2 baht per copy)
Show the Taxi driver these photos, he should recognize the place :
Visa for other countries in South East Asia :
- For Vietnam, see here.
- For Cambodia, see rules in Wikipedia and get your eVisa with www.ivisa.com
- For Laos, see rules in Wikipedia and get your eVisa with www.ivisa.com
- For Myanmar (Burma) , see rules in Wikipedia and get your eVisa with www.ivisa.com
More on Bangkok and Thailand :
- Where to Stay in Bangkok – Potential Zones for the Hotel
- How to book Trains, Buses, Flights, Hotels for Thailand
- What to Visit in Bangkok ? – The Tourist Attractions
- Bangkok Transport – Airport, Metro, Buses, Boats…
- To the Islands – Which Island to visit + Stay + Arrive
- To Chiang-Mai – What to Visit, Stay, Transport
- To Pattaya city – What to Visit, Stay, Transport
- The Cost to Visit Bangkok – Common Prices
- The Nightlife of Bangkok – The animated zones
- Visa for Thailand- Basic rules and how to extend
- Internet in Thailand – Buying a local SIM
- Useful Products for the Trip to Thailand
- Maps of Bangkok – With places of interest and Transport
- Bangkok FAQ – Weather, Distances etc…
- Bangkok Shopping – The big Malls and the Markets
- The Khaosan Road Survival Guide – The famous Backpackers
- A Tour of Bangkok – An overview
- Taxi Scams in Bangkok – Common Scams of Taxi and Tuk-Tuks
- Go-Go Bar Scams in Bangkok – What to expect
- Vegetarian in Bangkok
Other Stuff :
- Info about 2 more cool cities: Barcelona and Tel-Aviv
- What to Pack ? the visual list that will help you prepare the suitcase.
- Visit my Vegetarian Page. Why be Vegetarian ? What to eat ?
- Visit my Salsa Dance Page. Salsa main Styles. Why Dance Salsa ?
- Listen to nice Songs with translation in French, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew.
- Listen to basic Words In Spanish, French, Hebrew
If you find incorrect data on this page, like a restaurant that has closed or a big river that has moved or you want to tell me something, please write me to contact.