There are two systems of Metro lines in Bangkok :
- The Skytrain which runs above ground ,called BTS
- The Metro, the underground system, called MRT.
Both systems are efficient, comfortable and air-conditioned. They don’t operate at night (there are night buses in Bangkok).
The lines serve mainly the right side of Bangkok .
Click on the map to expand :
Here is one more Map. Click to enlarge :
The two systems are independent, which means you need different tickets for each one. For the skytrain, you can buy a “rabbit card” in which you can fill credit, it will save you the queues for each single trip. You can also buy a day pass. The MRT (metro) system has also cards.
Tip: You can use the rabbit card to pay in some supermarkets and cinemas. (look for the special machine).
About the prices : More expensive than the bus, but cheap compared to a Metro in Europe. A typical ride of 3 stations with the skytrain is about 30 baht.
Note that there may be long queues at the counters at rush hour, so get your ticket in advance
The Central Train Station of Bangkok
The Train to the Airport
Tourist attractions you can reach with the Skytrain and Metro :
- Visit the page about the tourist attractions and how to reach them.
- See a video of a ride with the skytrain.
In addition to the information on this page, you can use the smartphone applications Google Maps and Moovit, in order to know the right way of transport to your destination. I am explaining about this in the page about the Buses of Bangkok.
See the Page of Transport for information about all the ways of Transport in Bangkok.
Official site of Skytrain (BTS) and Metro (MRT) on Wikipedia
More on Bangkok and Thailand :
- Where to Stay in Bangkok – Potential Zones for the Hotel
- How to book Trains, Buses, Flights, Hotels for Thailand
- What to Visit in Bangkok ? – The Tourist Attractions
- Bangkok Transport – Airport, Metro, Buses, Boats…
- To the Islands – Which Island to visit + Stay + Arrive
- To Chiang-Mai – What to Visit, Stay, Transport
- To Pattaya city – What to Visit, Stay, Transport
- The Cost to Visit Bangkok – Common Prices
- The Nightlife of Bangkok – The animated zones
- Visa for Thailand- Basic rules and how to extend
- Internet in Thailand – Buying a local SIM
- Useful Products for the Trip to Thailand
- Maps of Bangkok – With places of interest and Transport
- Bangkok FAQ – Weather, Distances etc…
- Bangkok Shopping – The big Malls and the Markets
- The Khaosan Road Survival Guide – The famous Backpackers
- A Tour of Bangkok – An overview
- Taxi Scams in Bangkok – Common Scams of Taxi and Tuk-Tuks
- Go-Go Bar Scams in Bangkok – What to expect
- Vegetarian in Bangkok
Other Stuff :
- Info about 2 more cool cities: Barcelona and Tel-Aviv
- What to Pack ? the visual list that will help you prepare the suitcase.
- Visit my Vegetarian Page. Why be Vegetarian ? What to eat ?
- Visit my Salsa Dance Page. Salsa main Styles. Why Dance Salsa ?
- Listen to nice Songs with translation in French, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew.
- Listen to basic Words In Spanish, French, Hebrew
If you find incorrect data on this page, like a restaurant that has closed or a big river that has moved or you want to tell me something, please write me to contact.