What to Visit ? What to Do ?
If you are going to spend a few days in Tel-Aviv, you are very, very lucky because you don't need to visit anything. There are no "Must See" places in Tel-Aviv and you can just enjoy life. Think of it like you have just finished high school exams and you can go to the beach.
Here is a list of things you can Do and places to Visit in Tel-Aviv :
- Walk in the Nice Streets of Tel-Aviv
- Go to the Beach
- Rent a Bike and Ride along the Beaches, Yarkon Park and Tel-Aviv Boulevards
- Take a Tour on the Touristic Bus , Walking Tour, Segway
- Visit the Yarkon Park
- Go shopping in one of the Malls, Markets, Commercial streets or Leisure areas
- Take a View of the city from the 50 floor of the Azrieli towers
- Visit a Museum
- One day trip outside Tel-Aviv to : Jerusalem and Haifa cities
- Sit in a Café
- Tel-Aviv by Night
- What to do with Kids in Tel-Aviv
View Tel-Aviv - nice main streets in a larger map
- Along the beach promenade and in the Yarkon park (the purple line on the map)
- The elegant streets in the south of Tel-Aviv : around Rothschild boulevard and Shabazi street (the green line on the map)
- The commercial streets like Dizengoff (the blue lines on the map)
- Old Jaffa in the south (green mark on the map)
- The Tel-Aviv port in the north (an anchor symbol on the map)
- Tel-Aviv old City Hall (Pink mark on the map)
There is a long promenade along the beaches with hotels and restaurants, maritime sports (surf, windsurf, catamaran...), volley ball, dancing events and a lot of Matkot noise.
If you are like most humans (in term of temperature sensitivity), you can enter the water of the sea from May to November.
July and August are extremely hot in Tel-Aviv, it's hard to walk under the sun (and even to stay at the beach at some hours). It's nice to walk along the promenade at sunset.
See this video : Bike ride along Tel-Aviv beaches.
- Metzizim beach : It
is called Metzizim because of a famous
cult movie from the seventies. The beach has a form of a bay and it
located near the Tel-Aviv port.
- Religious beach, the
Separate beach : During week days, some days are reserved for
women and other days for men. At Saturday, it is normal.
- Dog Beach : In this
part of the beach dogs are allowed. Watch this
- Hilton beach, the north
part, Gay beach : Near the Hilton hotel. It is known as a beach
many Gays and Lesbians.
- Hilton beach, the south part - Surf beach : A lot of Marine sports
- Gordon beach : In
front of Gordon street. The first beach after the Marina. The beaches
this part are large and open (unlike the bay style of the beaches to
- Frishman beach : In
front of Frishman street.
- Bograshov beach : In front of Bograshov street.
- Jerusalem beach (Allenby
beach) : Buses have a stop close to this beach.
- Banana beach : Nice
atmosphere on Fridays.
- Drum beach : A very short bay in which drums are being played on Fridays.
- Charles Clore beach :
With a view over old Jaffa. People are usually arriving by car to this
- Honey beach : The closest to Jaffa, no lifeguard, "Wild style".
If you are coming by bus from somewhere, most of the buses don't have stops right on the beach but in parallel streets like Dizengoff, then you have to walk a little. Don't worry, Tel-Aviv is not that big. Some buses have a stop in front of Jerusalem beach, bus number 66 for example. On Saturdays, there are minibuses on the 66 line.
It is easy to rent a bike in Tel-Aviv, there is the Tel-O-Fun service which is a public rental system allowing you to take a bike in one station and bring it back in another. You can pay for the service with an International credit card.
You can also rent a bike in a private shop or in some hotels (the bike shops are usually located in the streets parallel to the beach).
Look at the following map, you can see where it is great to ride (click to enlarge) :
The best is to ride along the beaches and in the Yarkon river park. The path for biking along the beaches is about 16 Km. If you go to the south you will pass Tel-Aviv, pass Jaffa and arrive to Bat-Yam promenade. (between Jaffa and Bat-Yam there is still a short distance without bike path, you will need to ride beside the streets).
If you go to the north, you can almost arrive to Hertzelia with the bike path.
See this video of a bike ride from the Yarkon park and along the beaches.
Segway tour or a Walking Tour. There is also a Touristic Bus service in Tel-Aviv, it is not as developed as the ones existing in Europe, it seems there is only one bus (I'm pretty sure it is the same one passing every hour), but it is convenient in order to be guided through the city.
A very pleasant park, in my opinion.
- Rent a boat on the river or in the lake (the lake is in the right part)
- Ride a rented bike
- Visit a Botanic garden (near the lake) or the Tzapari (A bird zoo, near the lake).
View Tel Aviv - Commercial Centers in a larger map
- Dizengoff Center : The most central and cool mall, you can't miss
it if you are walking in the center of Tel-Aviv. On Fridays there is a
food market with hot ready plates to take away. See
- Azrieli Center (Azrieli towers) : The second big mall of
Tel-Aviv. It is not located near the beach but near the
Ayalon highway. Still, you can get there by walking or with a short bus
ride. There is an observatory at the 50 floor of the building.
- Gan-Ahir mall : Near the municipality building (Rabin square).
This mall has mostly exclusive shops and is not as popular as Dizengoff
- Opera building : Located right on the beach. Mostly closed, shops
are not active anymore.
- Arena Center, Hertzelia city : Hertzelia is the first city to the
north of Tel-Aviv. Arena mall is located on the Marina of Hertzelia,
The Marina is a nice place to visit at night, there are pubs and
restaurants, yachts and the mall. The mall has mostly exclusive shops.
- Ramat Aviv Mall : Ramat-Aviv is a quiet northern suburb of
Tel-Aviv. The mall has a mix of exclusive and popular shops.
- Ayalon Mall, Ramat-Gan : Ramat-Gan is the first suburb to the
east of Tel-Aviv. Ayalon was the first big mall built in Israel. Now,
it is just another mall.
- The malls of Rishon Letzion city : Rishon Letzion is a southern
suburb of Tel-Aviv and it has
plenty of malls. In fact, Rishon Letzion is dubbed the mall city of
- Arts & Crafts bazaar in Nahalat Binyamin pedestrian street :
It is located in the very center of Tel-Aviv and it operates on
Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Acarmel market : Mainly a food market but it sells also cheap
clothing. Operates every day, except Saturdays.
- Flea market in Jaffa : Operates mainly on Fridays. There are also
trendy cafés at this market.
- The streets : Dizengoff, King George, Allenby, Eben Gvirol have
plenty of small shops.
- Old Jaffa : The port area, the hill and the flea market. On the
hill there are art galleries.
- Tel-Aviv port : Between the cafés, there are also some stores.
- Kikar Amedina (the "State square") : It is a very big rounded square and it has mainly exclusive shops.
- Atahana : It means "station" in Hebrew and it was once (before
the days of Tel-Aviv) the train station from Jaffa to Jerusalem. There
are shops in the place, cafés and restaurants. Also active at
- Sarona : A new entertainment area with shops, cafés and
See it on the map of Tel-Aviv shopping.
View Tel-Aviv museums in a larger map
There are two places quite special and easy to reach, located right in the center of Tel-Aviv, in Rothschild boulevard :
- The Independence hall (16, Rothschild blv) the place where the state of Israel was declared.
- The Hagana museum (23, Rothschild blv) a museum related to the Jewish fighting organizations before the creation of Israel.
Etzel museum (38 King George Street), Museum "Etzel in 1948 year" (Charles Clore park, on the beach on the way to Jaffa), Lechi Museum - Beit Yair (8 Avraam Shtern Street, in Floretin area), Israel Defense Forces History Museum (near Atahana entertainment complex, near the beach on the way to Jaffa)
But, the biggest two museums in Tel-Aviv are :
Tel-Aviv Museum of Art (27, King Shaul street)
Eretz Israel Museum - Ancient cultures of Israel (2, Lebanon street, Ramat-Aviv suburb, north of Tel-Aviv)
See a list of all the museums in Israel and Tel-Aviv.
Jerusalem is at just 65 Km from Tel-Aviv (with the highway). The fastest way to arrive to Jerusalem with public transport is by taking the Bus from one of the two bus central stations of Tel-Aviv. The journey takes about 50 minutes. Once you arrive to the central station of Jerusalem you can use the light train to get to the city center and the old city (about 15 minutes).
By Train - In these days a new railway is being built between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem but it will take a few years to be operational, for now there is an old railway with nice scenery but the journey takes almost 2 hours and you arrive to another part of Jerusalem (Malka mall).
Haifa is at 100 Km from Tel-Aviv and the best way to get there is by train, it takes one hour. The train has several stations in Tel-Aviv. Once you arrive to Haifa by train (Haifa Center Station), you can take the funicular (Carmelit) to climb the mountain. There are also buses from Tel-Aviv to Haifa, of course.
Bring your laptop or tablet, the Wi-Fi is free. Not only it's free but in most cases there is no password needed. Then, you can write a blog about Tel-Aviv.
If you don't want to surf Internet, just watch the people (and dogs) passing.
Some characteristics of Tel-Aviv cafés :
- They are called cafés, but in fact they are restaurants. They serve light meals like omelets, sandwiches and salads.
- Most of the coffee chains have waiters and they are not self service (like Starbucks), only the Aroma chain is a full self service café.
- There are quite a lot of Vegans and Vegetarians in Tel-Aviv and so the food in the cafés is Vegetarian friendly.
- Here is a list of the coffee chains in Israel : Aroma,
Arcafe, Café Café, Landwer, Loveat, Elite, Hillel, café Joe.
View Tel-Aviv Night Life in a larger map
- Tel-Aviv Port : The port has no boats, but the place
has become a sophisticated leisure area with cafés, shops, restaurants,
bars and some dancing clubs.
- Yermiahu-Dizengoff junction : It is the north of Tel-Aviv, a
quiet residential area and there are here bars and cafés, animated at
night. Also some Humus restaurants.
- Aharbaha street : This street has a concentration of bars and
some dancing clubs. The cinematheque is nearby.
- Rothschild-Allenby junction : This is probably the best and
biggest area for Tel-Aviv nightlife. You will find here a lot of places
to party at night. The nearby streets are full of bars, including
- Florentin area - The south of Tel-Aviv, a lot of bars,
a student feeling.
- Old Jaffa - Elegant cafés on the hill.
- Atahana - An entertainment area, also live at night.
- Sarona - An entertainment area, also live at night.
- Rothschild boulevard
- Shabazi street
- Allenby street
- Dizengoff, Bograshov, Even Gvirol
Big dancing clubs tend to be in industrial zones, "Haoman 17" around Florentin, for example.
Yes, there are Go-Go bars in the city, a famous one is in Kikar Atarim, at the Koloseum building, beside the beach.
Havana club near the Azrieli towers (Igal Alon street, 126) and The Complex (Karlibah street, 2).
Start from these places and ask the regular dancers about more places to dance (it changes).
You can look at the Salsa Power site for more places, but it is not necessarily updated, so before you go to a place, try to phone or look at the website or ask people, because from time to time a place closes.
In Tel-Aviv you can dance Salsa almost every day of the week. The evening usually begins around 22:00 with a lesson of one hour in many levels and just after comes the party. Going to Salsa in Israel is a good way to meet people and if you can't dance Salsa, simply join the beginner level group.
In summer time, there is Salsa dance in some of the bars on the beach, but you’ll have to ask people because each year it happens in different places and different days. One of the places is Shalvata, another one is Honey Beach.
- The beach and swimming pools.
- Water parks - the most central one is the Meymadion in the Yarkon park (Yeushua park). Another is Shfayim, in a kibutz north of Tel-Aviv and there is Yamit 2000, south of Tel-Aviv in the city of Hulon.
- Tel-Aviv Malls,
they are air-conditioned and some of them have
special playgrounds for kids.
- The Azrieli
towers have an observatory deck at the top floor and
a 3D movie.
- The Yarkon park - you can rent there a boat on the river, visit
the Tzapari (a
small zoo) and a
- Rent bikes, there is Tel-O-fun,
the public service and there are also
- Visit the Safari
(big Zoological park) in Ramat-gan (a short bus ride), there are
tours with a "kid train" for those who don't come with a car.
- In the port of Jaffa, there are short boat tours.
- If you are willing to go out of town : Mini Israel is an attraction with replica models of Israeli sites and regions.
- Travel to Jerusalem by train - with the old rails it takes almost two hours but the scenery is nice between Bet-Shemesh and Jerusalem.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Tel-Aviv - Weather, Feasts, Costs...
- Tel-Aviv Tour - How is Tel-Aviv, get the feeling of the city.
- What to Visit in Tel-Aviv - Beahes, Walking streets...with maps.
- Where to Stay in Tel-Aviv - Potential zones to look for a Hotel.
- Tel-Aviv Transport - About the Buses, Trains... with maps.
- Tel-Aviv Maps - Google maps with points of interest for tourists.
- Tel-Aviv Photos - Nice photos of the city.
- Tel-Aviv Interenet and Phoning - Pre-Paid card, how is the Internet...
Jerusalem - What to Visit in Jerusalem (old city, city center...)
If you liked this tour of Tel-Aviv, see also the tour of Bangkok, and especially the Khaosan Survival Guide (the Backpacker's famous street) and the tour of Barcelona.
Visit - What to Pack ? - the Visual List that will help you not to forget things before your trip.
See my Vegetarian page. Why be Vegetarian ? What to eat ?
See my Salsa Dance page. Salsa main Styles. Why Dance Salsa ?
Listen to basic Words In Spanish , Words in French , Words in Hebrew
If you find incorrect data in this page, like a restaurant has closed or the big river has moved or you want to tell me something, please write me at contact.