Calling & Using Internet
- How to Phone
from Israel with your Smartphone ?
- How to get Internet on your Smartphone and Laptop in Israel ?
- The speed of the Internet in Israel
- Steps to check in order to receive
How to get internet access ? See down this page.
There are several cellphone companies operating in Israel:
Orange-Partner, Cellcom, Youphone, Pelephone, Hot mobile, RamiLevy, 012mobile, Golan, Hom (The Internet sites are sometimes only in Hebrew).
The cellphone companies have good subscription programs with low monthly rates, but you as a tourist may be more interested with the Pre-Paid options because it doesn't involve any contract. Not all the cellphone companies are offering pre-paid options.
You can buy a SIM card and also charge pre-paid credit at the post offices in Israel. They will tell you at the counter which SIM you can buy for pre-paid (Orange Partner Big Talk is one of them). Also in the commercial centers, there are telecom stands (in the alleys) that sell phones and SIM cards of some companies.
Note : Public phone booths are almost non-existent in Israel, they have disappeared from the streets.
Note : The International phone prefix of Israel is : 972
There is also a free wifi network all over Tel-Aviv, but it is slow.
cell phone companies mentioned before. It is usually more expensive and slower than a regular wifi connection that you can get in cafés, hotels etc but it gives you freedom to get Internet everywhere you go in Israel. See What to check if you don't see Internet on your smartphone.
A. Getting (cellular) Internet on your Smartphone or Tablet :A smartphone has a built in cellular reception capability, so you should just put a Sim card inside.
Your Tablet may have a cellular reception capability or not. If not, see Getting Internet on your Laptop.
You can broadcast the Internet to your laptop via your smartphone (this is called Tethering):
Broadcasting Internet to your Laptop via your SmartphoneYou can broadcast the Internet that you receive on your smartphone towards your laptop. It is easier than you may think. You can do it with a cable or wireless (wifi).
Here are the general steps:
1. Make sure you receive internet on your smartphone. see here how.
2. Go to the "settings" of your smartphone and search for a menu with a name like "use of data" and then something like "internet broadcast" or "wifi zone" (the labels depend on the version of your operating system).
You will have two possibilities in that menu and you can check either of them: One is to broadcast wifi, and in that case you just need to choose that wifi network from the list of wifi that appears on your laptop, exactly like you do with any wifi reception on your laptop. (You can see and change the password of that wifi on one of the menus of your smartphone).
The other possibility you will get is to broadcast internet to your laptop via a USB cable connection. Usually, the cable you use to charge your smartphone is good for that (the cable should have a USB connection on one end and a connection to your smartphone on the other end).
All modern smartphones have these capabilities and it is very easy to configure (once you have Internet reception on your smartphone).
I have tried all this and it works well.
About the Internet speed: The speed will usually be determined by what is provided by the cellular company and not by your smartphone technology.
Remark: You can also enter a CyberCafé in Israel and use computers.
- You should have a pre-paid or post-pay option with a cellular
company, the same company of the SIM you inserted into your smartphone.
Check that your have credit (with the special number the company
provides for that). Make sure the plan includes also Internet (usually
- Make sure the "allow cellular data" (cell phone data receiving) is enabled on your smartphone (this is different than wifi reception). You should find it in the "settings" menu of your smartphone. (it will not appear with exactly this title on your smartphone, the menu names depend on the operational system you have on your smartphone)
- Make sure your smartphone is not in a "flight mode" (the mode that cuts all communications)
More on Tel-Aviv in this site :
- Frequently Asked Questions about Tel-Aviv - Weather, Feasts, Costs...
- Tel-Aviv Tour - How is Tel-Aviv, get the feeling of the city.
- What to Visit in Tel-Aviv - Beahes, Walking streets...with maps.
- Where to Stay in Tel-Aviv - Potential zones to look for a Hotel.
- Tel-Aviv Transport - About the Buses, Trains... with maps.
- Tel-Aviv Maps - Google maps with points of interest for tourists.
- Tel-Aviv Photos - Nice photos of the city.
- Tel-Aviv Interenet and Phoning - Pre-Paid card, how is the Internet...
Jerusalem - What to Visit in Jerusalem (old city, city center...)
If you liked this tour of Tel-Aviv, see also the tour of Bangkok, and especially the Khaosan Survival Guide (the Backpacker's famous street) and the tour of Barcelona.
Visit - What to Pack ? - the Visual List that will help you not to forget things before your trip.
See my Vegetarian page. Why be Vegetarian ? What to eat ?
See my Salsa Dance page. Salsa main Styles. Why Dance Salsa ?
Listen to basic Words In Spanish , Words in French , Words in Hebrew
If you find incorrect data in this page, like a restaurant has closed or the big river has moved or you want to tell me something, please write me at contact.